Monday 19 June 2017

Delays and Stubborn patterns

I have been fighting with a pattern and it has been distracting me and things have taken longer to do than I expected. I was so pumped for June then I had one of my weeks in which I get horrible migraines and life just gets the better of me. I have written the first two parts of the sew with me but I didn't want to put them out until I had finished the series so I could say right for the next four weeks bam and schedule them for you guys.
Also I don't just sew I write stories and my stories sometimes over take my mind and eat away my time. Perhaps I had too narrower view of what this blog would be about  if I am intent on sharing my creativity it probably should follow that I don't just share one aspect of my creativity because the reality is that my creativity doesn't always manifest in neat little boxes like just sewing. If I am so from the heart that doesn't always look like making pretty dresses sometimes my heart makes romantic stories and others its drawing or singing things. truth is I don't always get to decide what my brain and hands want to do.

I have this pattern at the moment which I got  because I liked the silhouette, I thought that well  it would suit my hour glass figure it has a 1950s vibe too which I love and I got a cheap duvet to make it out of because I love making things out of other things and as a toile it would be great  if I really liked it I could re make it out of more expensive fabric. I always have issues around my back and my shoulders as they are narrow and I am always having to do a short strap adjustment which I do in my own strange way which involves dropping the armhole and shortening the strap. but this dress has set in sleeves. It also had pattern features I had never done before like a cross over bodice. Its a butterick pattern (B5930) and normally I love butterick patterns as usually I don't have to do any adjustments on them  but this one literally fell off my shoulders  which is never a good look.

on paper it looks great  even on my dress form ( who I call Gemma as in Gemini  my twin...)  it sits well but on me... no. also it makes me look not like me.

This is it on paper from my cashmerette sketch book... I am thinner than their proportions but they are better than the stick thin ones that one usually gets...


so suffice to say I am struggling.  I have flipped the pattern a little but even so it doesn't suit me as I thought it would. if you are a pear shape with a broad back this dress might be the one but for me it doesn't quite look right and it doesn't suit me the three other things I have in mind to make in June do but my brain went for that one.  so here are the other three  in sketch form I usually draw free hand and get stumpy weird arms rather than waste my sketch book but I learned so much with that butterick pattern  I need to record that.  of course the sewing bee projects which I will reveal once they have been judged.



Miette skirt ( Tilly of course!), daisy dress my favourite pattern and a broadrais anglais top from the lauren Guthrie book.


No comments:

Post a Comment